What are some other methods for lasting longer during sex?
Numbing creams are not your only option if your goal is to last longer during sex. Your other options range from the simple to the more drastic, though all are worth considering if you consider premature ejaculation to be problematic for you and your partner. Here are some of the most popular remedies:
• Ordinary condoms. For some men, this is the simplest, most straightforward solution, and is enough to help them last long enough to enjoy sex more. The main problem with this method is with couples who are trying to conceive. Men in this situation may choose to do without a condom on his partner’s fertile days and wear a condom on non-fertile days for prolonged enjoyment those times.
• Special condoms. You can actually buy condoms (known as “performance enhancing” condoms) that are lined with a numbing agent like lidocaine or benzocaine. These condoms can be more effective at delaying ejaculation than ordinary condoms, but for men who have difficulty having an erection, they may not be a good choice. Men who want to try these are advised to try one during masturbation to get an idea of its effects before trying it with a partner.
Some condoms are specially made to decrease sensation and prolong sexual activity.
• Special techniques during sex. The so-called “start-stop technique” and “squeeze technique” are recommended by sex therapists for building up endurance during sexual activity. Another exercise doctors and sex therapists recommend is Kegel exercises, which are purported to give men more control over orgasm. These exercises, of course, take time to learn to use, but many men consider them a worthwhile investment of time and effort.
• SSRI Antidepressants. You may have heard about people taking serotonin-specific reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants and having difficulty with orgasm. For the man with premature ejaculation, however, SSRIs can be a practical solution for making sex last longer. But SSRIs are nothing to play around with. If you are interested in this option, you need to speak to your healthcare advisor and be candid about why you want the medications, so they can calibrate your dosage correctly to minimize side effects while addressing premature ejaculation.
• Attitude Adjustment. Sometimes what men consider a problem for their partner, their partner doesn’t mind at all. Women aren’t necessarily interested in marathon sexual sessions because face it, prolonged sex is demanding for them as well. Talk to your partner about your concerns. You may be pleasantly surprised that you’re upset about something that doesn’t bother her, and that alone may help you relax and enjoy sex more.
• Solo first. Some men find that a masturbation session an hour or so before sex with a partner helps them last longer. This is a simple solution that costs nothing and is worth a try. Numbing creams, numbing sprays, ordinary condoms, and specially designed condoms are all available to help men who experience premature ejaculation enjoy sex longer. It’s important for men to keep in mind that the occasional experience of premature ejaculation is usually just “one of those things,” and it is the men who regularly experience it, and in whom it causes distress, who would be officially diagnosed with premature ejaculation.
The creams and sprays are worth a try as long as you follow directions. They may be worth trying out solo before trying them out with a partner, so you’ll know what to expect. If these products don’t help or are more annoying than they’re worth, then talk to your physician about it. Your doctor has encountered enough truly bizarre medical cases that premature ejaculation won’t even raise an eyebrow, and it’s the first step to getting help and getting your great sex life back.